A blog about independent travel by broadcaster Simon Clark
VIDEO: Orangutans
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I have fixed the link so you can enjoy watching the semi-wild orangutans and wild monkeys in Sepilok Forest on the island of Borneo. They eat dinner and disappear into the great rain forest.
The island of Bali has been attracting holidaymakers for decades. Now, thanks to competitive air fares from budget airlines such as Air Asia, it is popular stop for those tourists visiting other parts of Asia. Its proximity to Australia has always meant that Bali is a leading destination from there. I've posted some airline links at the foot of the page. Bali is not a huge island but its relatively undeveloped road network means it takes far longer to get anywhere than a simple glance at a map would suggest. Most of the modern development has taken place around the airport at Denpasar in the eat, primarily in the town of Kuta. The surf shops as big as supermarkets are a clear indication of an advanced tourist economy. That is why I chose to investigate the the east of the island. I started in the resort of Candidasa, some 64 km or 45 miles from the airport. In most countries that would mean a journey of around an hour but on the day I arrive it is festial day for Bali...
It is quite some time since I was last in the largest of the Balearic islands, Mallorca. There are so many places in the world to visit I had left it alone after spending so many of my holidays there 20-30 years ago. I was interested to discover how the island had changed and whether it had kept some of the charms which so appealed to me all those years ago. My destination was a farmhouse in Son Carrio close to Manacor abd the holiday resorts which cluster around Cala Millor. Sa Riba, Son Carrio . A wise choice as it transpired. The farmhouse catered for two people (a third if needed) comfortably. It was well equipped and even had a well. I have never had that before. It was well situated for the unfinished railway line which these days offers a perfect route to run or cycle towards Manacor or Arte. I did both but not to the full extent of the track. One of my desires for this trip though was to complete a journey I had hitherto failed to accomplish...
Andalucia offers the explorer many fine places to discover as this blog has previously explained. Away from the major cathedral cities of Malaga, Sevilla, Granada and Cordóba, what else lies within the province? Travel a little further and the port city of Cadiz comes into view. Look familiar? It doubled as Havana in Bond's Die Another Day Cadiz is a remarkably easy city to explore. For the reasonably fit, it can all be done on foot. The city lies on a peninsular with the walker and cyclist well catered for and you stroll out with the sea on one side. The many fine buildings is a reminder if Spain's affluent past when the riches of the New World arrived first in the port before distribution to the other areas of Spain. On Sunday mornings, especially in spring and autumn, Cadiz is the playground for those seeking redemption through fitness. Joggers, cyclists and power walkers use the city to get them in shape. It's easy because it is flat. A great place to ...
Comments
Post a Comment